Over 4500 mothers and daughters around the world have participated in Matan's Mother – Daughter Bat Miitzvah Program - "Jewish Women Through The Ages" since its inception. The program consists of ten sessions during which mothers and daughters together study sources about Jewish women throughout history. The women studied in the program were selected because they embody positive attributes and values from which the girls can learn.
Each learning session is accompanied by an experiential activity related to the relevant figure or subject. Each activity creates a different atmosphere and invites different modes of self-expression such as creative dance, music, theater, art and guided imagery.
Schools, synagogues, and communal organizations may purchase the Matan Bat Mitzvah Program.
- Source materials provided both in Hebrew and with accompanying English translation.
- Personal hands-on training for staff or lay people from the community on how to facilitate the Bat Mitzvah Program.
- Consultation with Matan staff on an as-needed basis.
- CD-ROM with all of the handouts and games ready to be printed
- Films for use with the program
Matan has recently begun marketing a variation of the Matan Bat Mitzvah Program that is adapted for communities where the girls have weak Hebrew skills and/or Jewish background. It comes with a simplified version of the source sheets, with sources available in Hebrew and English, or with a minimum of Hebrew, so as not to intimidate non-Hebrew readers.