As a result of rocket and shell attacks from the Gaza Strip on Israel's southern region and the beginning of "Operation Cast Lead", 300,000 students have not been able to attend school. In settlements, towns and cities within a 40 km. radius of the Gaza Strip, the Ministry of Education has not reopened schools, kindergartens and colleges since the Chanukah vacation break as a security measure. In order to keep the students in contact with their studies and teachers the Ministry of Education has provided a listing of online learning resources and activities for elementary, middle and high school students.
Among the online resources available to students are:
- School websites which enable communication between teachers and students.
- Online synchronous and asynchronous lessons in school subjects and information about the security and military situation provided by national educational chains, teachers colleges and educational resource centers.
- Online preparatory lessons for the upcoming national matriculation exams
- Entertainment and game sites
- A social network site providing an interface for discussion of the security and military situation with other students, teachers and school counselors.
In addition, the National Educational Television Network is providing special programming for students of the south and many communities throughout the country have been hosting youth from the south for visits of a few days duration.